Homeschooling Mama Friends
One of the most often repeated worries that a veteran homeschooling mama hears is “socialization.”
It comes from every imaginable source. Concerned family & friends, strangers at the supermarket and the new questioning mama who desires to homeschool.
I have often been guilty of snickering when I hear it. I shouldn’t.
But, seriously. Have you seen my calendar. The challenge is staying home!
In this day & age of extracurricular possibilities, it never has to be an issue.
What I don’t hear asked often enough is where is the Mama going to find friends & support.
In fact, I think the mama’s support system is more important than her children’s friendships.
Your support system provides education in your chosen profession as a homeschooling mama, support for the hard times & laughter when you need it.
Simply put. Women need women.
So what are you looking for when you begin to build your homeschooling tribe?
There are three types of friends:
1) those ahead of you in the journey. These are your mentors. The Success stories. The ones who have been there in the trenches for several years.
2) those who walk with you. These are the ones with children in your children’s peer group. I’m not talking age or grade here. Think stage. The amount of time they have been homeschooling isn’t a deciding factor here.
3) those who are new to the journey. The newbie. This is when you realize you’ve survived the beginning of your journey. You have something to give back. It’s a dazzling moment.
You need all three to be balanced. They are important. You are important.
So, where do you find them?
1) Social Media is a great place to start.
Most cities will have groups to answer questions & share information. A really great group will plan extracurricular activities & give you the opportunity to meet others
But don’t stay here. It’s a starting place.
2) Local museums. Call & ask if there are homeschooling classes.
3) Local Library. Church. Park. Co-op, 4-H.
4) AND If you can’t find a group, start one. I am serious. If you are lonely someone else is too! Put a sign up in the library. Start a Facebook group. It can all start with a simple monthly park day.
Praying for you today, Mama!
Choose who walks with you wisely.
Leave a Reply